I wish I could give the kids every Friday off from school! Maybe I will try that for next semester. It would mean a bit of a cramped schedule but a 3 day weekend every week? My kids would love it!
Today has been great. I was able to get both the crumpets cooked and the dough for maple rolls (not cinnamon rolls!) prepped into pans to bake tomorrow morning for breakfast. My kids have been getting along for the most part. We live in a 1300 square foot house and when you have five kids running around in it, a disagreement is pretty much inevitable.
I used the recipe for sourdough crumpets at the King Arthur Flour website. I seem to be there a lot. Maybe once I am more comfortable working with sourdough I will venture off to the rest of the Internet for recipes. I used my container of discard starter. There was about 3 – 4 cups in it.
I didn’t have crumpet rings, so I just cooked them like pancakes in a cast-iron skillet with some melted butter. They don’t have quite as many holes as I would like but they taste like crumpets and the texture is right. I think these will probably be for breakfast Sunday morning. We don’t use the fake maple syrup anymore, so my kids are used to having jam, honey, and almond butter on their pancakes already. We have real maple syrup but it’s a huge half-gallon jug and I don’t have space to store it in the fridge right now. lol Crumpets are supposed to be eaten more like English muffins anyway. You just don’t cut them in half.
My next project for the morning was cinnamon rolls. Well, they were going to be cinnamon rolls but they became maple rolls instead. I don’t remember the last time I made cinnamon rolls but I do remember thinking that they were a big hassle. Of course, I used a recipe from the King Arthur Flour website again. I just changed the filling to be maple rolls. The dough was surprisingly easy to work with. Usually, I make or am a huge mess by the time I’m done working with dough of any kind. I let it rise in a bowl for an hour and half on the stove top. It’s 90-crazy degrees here (is it really fall? It sure doesn’t feel like it!) and it had no problem rising. After an hour and a half, I poked it a bit with a spatula to get it to deflate and it was ready to be patted out into a rectangle.
Instead of using cinnamon, I used a combination of evaporated cane juice and maple sugar. I would have used this maple sugar from Mount Mansfield Maple Products but then I remembered that my in-laws had brought us a little shaker of maple sugar when they visited the Northeast U.S. So I used that instead.
I had left out the leftover stick of butter I used for the dough so it was really soft. Instead of melting it, I just smeared the 3 tablespoons I had left all over the dough rectangle with my hand. This part was actually kind of fun! Like finger-painting for adults!
Then I went overboard with the maple sugar/evaporated cane juice combination. I don’t think anyone will mind. I would guesstimate that I used about 2-3 Tablespoons of sugar with a possible 1 to 1 ratio of the two sugars. Okay, let’s be real. I just threw them together until it looked like they were evenly mixed and went for it. This was also fun. I used a spoon to sprinkle the sugar over the smeared butter.
Then it was time to roll the dough into a log and slice. This is always the hard part for me. I usually end up with something that does not look like a log. Slicing is even more disastrous! But this time it worked! And I ended up with almost pretty circles of maple rolls to put in the pan instead of globs of sugary dough.
I didn’t let them rise after I put them in the pan. I put both pans right into the fridge. Josh is supposed to take them out when he wakes up too early tomorrow morning on a Saturday so they can rise for an hour before baking. I will try to post a results pic tomorrow. Hopefully, they turn out!