I-Beam table legs

Today I was able to pick up the i-beams that I had purchased for the legs of the table I am building. Originally, the i-beam was one large piece and I needed two 28.5 inch sections cut out.  I think I surprised the metal shop with my request; it sounded like nobody had ever wanted sections of such a large beam to build something out of.

The beam was in the secondary steel section because it was older and has surface rust. I ended up paying 30 cents a pound for the metal, and $125 dollars to get the beam cut.  The shop didn’t have a saw that was able to cut anything over 12 inches (my beam was 21 inches).  Thankfully, they have another shop they work with and regularly send items back and forth.  That shop has a large band saw and was able to cut my beam.  It took two weeks to get the beam back since there is only one trip between the shops each week.

IMG_1680 IMG_1681 IMG_1682

I put some of the wood that I purchased for the table top onto the beams to get an idea of how it will look once it is complete.  My next step is to remove the rust from the beams and purchase the pieces I will need to attach the beams together.

-Joshua

Advertisements

Building a fence

For some reason, a past owner of my house built a chain link fence about 12 feet from the property line.  There is a hill separating my yard from the neighbors, but the hill doesn’t drop much until it is past the property line at that section.  Additionally, there were some huge bushes planted behind the fence that had gone crazy.  They didn’t appear to have been trimmed for a long time and had been allowed to grow through the fence.  This resulted in a 50-60 foot long area by 15-20 feet wide that was being wasted.  As an avid gardener there was no way I could let that stand.

My property line after I had removed some of the bushes.
My property line after I had removed some of the bushes.
So much wasted space over there.
So much wasted space over there.

I ended up working on brush and fence removal off and on for almost two year.  I hadn’t realized just how much junk was growing in that spot.

Now that I have cleared that area, I needed to build a fence quickly so my kids wouldn’t go down the hill and hurt themselves on accident.  I went with 4×4  pressure  treated posts and 2x4s and 7.5 inch dog eared fence boards.

Mostly, I think the fence turned out well.  I did get off of my straight line with one of the sections, but as I add to the fence I believe it will not be noticeable to anyone besides me.

IMG_1651 IMG_1652 IMG_1650 IMG_1649 IMG_1670 IMG_1673 IMG_1674 IMG_1675 IMG_1676

I am going to put the extra area gained to good use.  I already planted a pomegranate tree, and will be adding a chicken coop to the area in the near future.

-Joshua