Awhile ago I posted about removing the tile and linoleum on my bathroom floor. Mostly, I took it off because I didn’t want to add yet another layer to an already high floor. I also knew there was rot in the subfloor around the toilet. I had seen the rot on one of my excursions under the house. Sadly, I forgot to take pictures of the worst of the rot, all I have is the surface plywood picture.
My subfloor is built out of 1.5 inch thick wood planks. For those to rot through there had to be years of wet conditions.
Repairing the floor isn’t a hard job if the damaged area isn’t to large. If you have damage to floor joists then you may want to get a professional to do the work.
First you will need to clear the rot by cutting it out. If you can cut back to floor joists then it will be easier to attach the section of plywood that will make up the new floor.
Once the rot is removed then you may need to add supports between the joists. The joists in my house are pretty far apart so I had to add quite a network of wood to make a support that I felt would be strong enough for the floor and toilet. You may not need to make add all the supports like I did if you can easily span the joists with your plywood. Another thing you can do is attach a 2×6 directly to the joists and use that as the attachment point for your plywood.
Next attach plywood to your supports or joists. This step is where I made the biggest mistake. I read up on how to do this before attempting it myself. Everything I read said to use a layer of 3/4th inch plywood. With my sub floor being so thick I should have done more then one layer of plywood. That would have saved me some work and money later. If you are making this repair in a potential wet spot make sure you use screws that will work there. Someone in the past had attempted a repair around the toilet using drywall screws, and they had rusted pretty badly.
After the plywood is in place, you will need to use floor leveling compound to make the floor level if the plywood isn’t flush with the original floor. This is where not using more plywood hurt me. I had to use a lot of floor leveling compound. Plywood is cheaper and easier to work with. So make sure you get the plywood as close to flush with the original floor as you can.
Once the floor is level or as close to it as possible then you are ready to start tiling the floor, and that will be another post.
Since the Lego Mindcub3r took so long to build and get working, the kids played with it for more than a few days. It wasn’t until last week that we decided it was time to take the Mindcub3r apart and build a new bot to play with. Josh gave us a few options, and I decided we would try the Banner Print3r bot.
The Banner Print3r bot can draw or write on a cash register/calculator paper roll using a standard Sharpie marker. If you have a washable marker though that works as well as and is the same size as a Sharpie, I’d recommend using that. We didn’t have any cash register paper rolls and I didn’t feel like taking all the kids to Staples, so I ordered a 12-pack off Amazon. At first, I thought I had bought too much paper, but it ended up being a good thing. We are already using our second cash register paper roll!
Since this is a monster post (1500 words!), I am going to place the rest of it under a read more.
A republish from last year. This was a fun project to do, and getting out last years project brings back good memories.
The only place I was able to find the correct shaped pavers was Home Depot. The pavers were only 67 cents each so they make for a cheap project. I also bought a can of white and light brown spray paint. We had all of the materials we used for decorating on hand.
First we put the paver on a box in the drive way and spray painted them white for snowmen and brown for gingerbread. The pavers were already sort of brown, but were unevenly colored. They needed to be painted for a better look.
The spray paint dried within minutes and we were able to decorate our pavers. We used acrylic paint, googly eyes, pipe cleaners, cotton balls, and ribbons. I was also able to fashion some hats out of scrap wood. Each child was able to decorate in their own way.
These were easy and quick decorations that we will be using as decorations for family. I also learned that the combination of gorilla glue and acrylic paint is VERY hard to clean off your hands.